Sunday, December 03, 2006

Paasi paruppu Paayasam

As I mentioned earlier, December is my birth month. Every year, a week before my birthday, my mother used to ask me what I wanted to eat, as a special dish, for that birthday. The answer was my favorite 'medu vadai-paasi paruppu payaasam'. ALWAYS! Every year, same question, same answer. All of my birthdays that I celebrated at home were stamped with these delicious vadai-paayasam and a visit to the nearby temple. I hold this paayasam so dear to my heart. Funny thing is, I just realised that I've never attempted to try this lovely paayasam myself. For the special event of Jihva for Ingredient, with the special ingredient 'Jaggery', I made my special paayasam!!! Who knew it was this easy to make this yummy paayasam?? The picture doesn't do much justice, thanks to the Toronto weather. Where is the sunlight when I want to click a pic of this yummy dessert?

Paasi paruppu paayasam
Paasiparuppu/yellow mung dal - 1/2 cup
Jaggery - a little less than half cup
Milk - 1 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Raisins - 2 tbsp
Almonds/Cashews - 1 tbsp
Saute the yellow mung dal in 1 tbsp ghee till the color changes to golden brown (not dark brown). Add 3 cups of water and allow the dal to cook. When it's 3/4rth done, add the milk and let it cook some more. When it's done, add the jaggery and wait till the jaggery has melted well. After 5 mins, remove from the stovetop and keep it aside. Fry the raisins and chopped almonds (I used almonds instead of cashews) and add to the paayasam.
Taste it! Yummmy!
This paayasam can be had hot or even chilled. I like it both ways. When it's hot, it is best eaten with appalam. Especially, during feasts served on banana leaf, even when people stare at you for the weird combo. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Kay !

Sweet treats like this used to be bday gifts from my grand parents esp this paruppu payasam.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay,
B'day wishes !!
In your paayasam receipe, you havent mentioned when to add the jaggery ??!!

Anonymous said...

that's a very yummy payasam indeed. in kerala, the milk is replaced with coconut milk, and it's called pradhaman. some freid coconut pieces are added in the end. you may enjoy this varioation too. try it.

Anonymous said...

Birthday wishes, Kay!

Nice recipe for JFI. I am also a big fan of payasam and vada combination.

Happy hosting! Hope you are having fun looking at all the entries.:)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday,kay:) i just dont know how i missed this post on your blog!
paati

Kay said...

Thanks guys!