Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Mystery vegetable in our kootu curry!



I made kootu curry recently and I used a mystery vegetable in it. I'm not talking about the broccoli on the side. There is a vegetable in the kootu curry. Yes, this is a part of my new year's resolution to try new vegetables. This is 2 of 12 new food stuff to try this year.

So, what is this mystery vegetable? Can anybody take a guess? (Click on the picture to see an enlarged version)

The mystery vegetable contest ends!!! It was yellow squash, also called as summer squash that I used in the kootu curry.

Recipe for the Squash Kootu Curry: This is a lazy version of the traditional kootu curry, but it had the same great taste. Traditionally, the wet masala is made of coconut, cummin seeds and green chillies. I decided to forego the making of the masala and added the ingredients, without grinding them, in the curry. Heat oil and add some cummin seeds and roast them. Add chopped onions, green chillies (slit lengthwise) and some curry leaves. After the onions turn translucent, add channa dal (pre-soaked for 1/2 hr) and yellow squash (skin removed and chopped). Add a dash of tumeric powder and 2-3 tbsp of dry grated coconut powder (available in Indian stores). Saute for a few minutes. Add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Wait till the pressure has been released and then add salt. simmer for 5-10 mins. Serve hot with rice.

Priya is the winner of the guessgame! I mailed you a copy of my collection, that I gathered from helpful souls, over the internet. It was fun having the guess game. Thanks for everybody who participated in this fun.

28 comments:

Priya said...

is it yellow squash or chayote squash ?

Anonymous said...

Is it Chayote? Some kind of pumpkin? Turnip or parsnip?

Any prizes? :)

Anonymous said...

cucumber?

Ashwini said...

Ooh all the foodies are going to get so excited about this. Anyway my guess was the same as Priya - chayote squash?

lulu said...

i would vote for some sort of pushnika as well! fabulous picture..

Anonymous said...

kay ,is it bottle gourd....?

Anonymous said...

I wrote a comment yesterday, somehow it seems disappeared.:)

Ok, I'm going to make a guess again. I agree with Priya, Chayote, or pumpkin ?
may be parsnip or turnip?

Any prizes for the correct guesser? :)

bilbo said...

hey kay,
thanks for visiting my blog. I dont have a recipe, cus you know how moms are. tehy never follow a reipe. Ive seen her make it though , so I'll email u the instructions sometime soon.
Take care

Kay said...

Yes, let's have a prize. I intially thought of a cook book for US people only, but that wudn't be fair to non-US people.

So, Winners get a soft-copy of my huge recipe collection of interesting recipes that I picked from the internet.

We'll wait till tomorrow to close the guess-game and announce the winners.

Keep guessing. :)

Anonymous said...

Another guess kay, could it be Zucchini ..:)

Tanuja said...

If i am not wrong i feel kottu has a mixer of squash and corn this is just my guess:)

Tanuja said...

If i am not worng this dish looks like it has a mixer of squash and corn this is just my guess:)

BDSN said...

Well Kay if you could send me a sample of your curry i can definitely tell you what it is (sorry Joking)but Hmmmmm this is gonna be a hard guesssssssss...Well iam guessing for sure its a Green squash as it is light green in color,looks soft and looks yummy...

BDSN said...

Hi Kay...

I tried to post my msg previously but somehow it hasn't showed up...but anyway i would love to guess it as a green squash or green zuchini..

GourmayMasala said...

corn kernels! Are you laughing?

Priya said...

hey i'll add one more is itbottle gourd by any chance

Ashwini said...

Spit it out already.....this is becoming more mysterious than a Sherlock Homes case :-)

Anonymous said...

It looks like corn with some other veggie like bottle gourd. Is it ?

Anonymous said...

It could also be channa dal & bottle gourd.

Priya said...

wow, iam so thrilled :) thank you Kay id love to get ur recipes and , my husband keeps asking me to buy those yellow squash, but i kinda hesitate coz i can only use them while i make sambar. So now i can buy em and make squash kootu.

Ashwini said...

What about a prize for participation? coz your recipe book is so tempting! Hee hee

Anonymous said...

Congrats Priya.:)

Tanuja said...

Thank u kay:))

BDSN said...

Hi Priya....

Congratulations!! on your guess..
Enjoy your recipe colllection and once again a big HOORAY for you...

BDSN said...

Well Kay I guessed green squash so I guess I too can get half the prize.....Well just kidding........

Kay said...

BDSN, yep, you win the participation prize, you naughty! ;)

Tanuja, do mail me at tabtomorrow@gmail.com and let you know your preference. I'll send you some selected recipes, from my collection.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay,

I stumbled upon your website today and came across your kootu recipe. I incidentally had Yellow squash at home which my dear hubby had purchased accidentally. After looking up your kootu experiments I decided to try it myself and was pleasantly surprised at the discovery. It tastes rather good and I will be using this veggie more often for sure. thanks for the recipe and the blogs..they are very interesting...


vrishali
USA

Kay said...

Alright! Out with the mystery!

The vegetable used is yellow squash which is also called summer squash.

Priya wins!!! Priya, send me your email id to my email and I'll send you my prized possesion of recipes.

Tanuja was close and said 'squash' but there are zillion types of squashes. Hmmmm... Maybe I'll send you a bunch of special recipes from above mentioned collection. Do you have any preferences?