Sunday, February 12, 2006

Methi Mutter Pulao - An easy version

Pulaos are rice dishes which are wonderful to have with curries. I think, Pulaos are Indian versions of Persian Pilafs. While Biryanis and Pulaos look similar, the cooking method differs. Also the Biryanis are more spicier than Pulaos. My mother makes an yummy Pulao made of freshly extracted coconut milk and serves it with her delicious egg curry or spicy kurmas. I'll probably, make a separate post about it sometime. I like all kinds of Pulaos - Methi Mutter pulao, Tomato Pulao, Spinach Pulao, Mushroom Pulao, etc (Not Paneer Pulao though, I eat only a selected few paneer dishes). Traditionally, Methi-mutter Pualo is made with fresh fenugreek leaves and fresh peas and the rice cooked along with the peas and leaves and some spices. Now, here's a quick version (lazy version?) of Methi Mutter Pulao.


Cooked rice - 2 cups (left over rice is fine, make sure the rice doesnt stick to each other)
Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) - 3-4 tbsp
Frozen green peas - 1 cup
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Cummin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Badshah Pulao masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Olive oil - 1 tbsp

Heat oil and add cummin seeds. When they turn golden brown, add the onions and saute the onions till they turn golden brown. Add the green peas and saute for a few mins, till they are cooked. Add the kasoori methi leaves and saute for a few mins. Add salt and the cooked rice and saute for a few mins. Add the Pulao masala and stir well. Serve hot.

9 comments:

sailu said...

Kay,you must try Paneer Pulao too..trust me its good.Infact I tried out Nupur's Paneer Pilaf and your Tomato Kurma to go with it and both came out real good.

Thanks for the Tomato Kurma recipe.It came out good and we had it with dosas and also with paneer pilaf.

BDSN said...

Kay..Adding kasoori methi is indeed a nice touch to the otherwise plain mutter pulao..I will keep it in mind...Thanks for the recipe...

Kay said...

Thanks Sailu! I'm glad you liked the tomato kurma.

Me and Paneer, dont have a good relationship. Store bought ones give me allergies (any aged cheese!) And I dont like the chewy taste of paneer. I've eaten paneer bhurji once, out of home made paneer and liked it. Same goes for a paneer paratha.. but well, no other paneer dish has appealed to me. Maybe I'll try Nupur's paneer pilaf someday.

reshma said...

now I have fresh fenugreek leaves, but no peas....hmmm...and your mom's way of adding coocnut milk to the pulav ...well...temptations temptations!

GourmayMasala said...

I like this lazy alternative to fresh methi. I've got some kasuri methi and some peas lying around!

Ashwini said...

I love kasoori methi - its so fragrant.

Kay said...

Thanks bdsn, Reshma, GM and Ashwini!

Reshma, I'll try to post my mother's recipe sometime.

Meenal Mehta said...

Kay ,

i ahve to have try this one .Just one question though..do the fenugreek /methi leaves impart a slightly bitter taste which they are known to do.

Kay said...

Yes Meenal, A slight bitter taste... After a few bitter-trials, I've reduced the amount of kasoori methi I use. My husband likes that bitter taste, not me.